Thursday, September 9, 2010

I needed a crowd : GO WITH THE FLOW





















Walk the Talk: 25 July 2010. What a vibe!!!!







I used the event in a symbolic way to create awareness for the acid water crises.

I distributed blue and red ribbons and instructions to the enthusiastic walkers, before they walked underneath blue prayer flags I strung across the road. The prayer flag tradition is from Tibet and date back thousands of years. The blue colour correspond to the elements, including water. The flags symbolise silent prayers for healing, blessing and preventing disasters, carried on the natural energy of the wind.

The walkers could tie their ribbon on a tree near the end of the walk on Orange Road, creating a Clootie Well.

A Clootie Well is a place of pilgrimage, usually trees, associated with an ancient water source, near a hill. A well known ritual also executed at a Clootie Well is a circular walk.

Famous Clootie Wells are found at Wicklow, Carlow, Wexford, Galway and Killarney - names we know well.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this! I walk past it when I go to the Emmarentia dam!
    Just wanted to say I love your work, and what you're doing in Joburg!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great way to make people aware of the problem. I love the concept!!!! Wish I was in Joburg to see all the colours.

    ReplyDelete