Saturday, July 30, 2011

inroad: (n; an instance of something/someone being reduced by something/someone else)






My first woman, although she is only a little one, is a little girl named Sinenjongo which means we have hope. She regards me as her Other grandmother and has periodically been part of my household.

She loves playing with the old white, blue eyed baby doll given to me as a child by my grandmother. The image is a metaphor for her complicated and confusing situation being tied to the white and all it implies seen against the background of both our histories.

A large part of her life is spent traveling from one home to another - from her grandmother in the Eastern Cape, to her mother's apartment, to my house. The poster was pasted as part of my first phase onto a wall facing an unoccupied, liminal area next to her mother's apartment in Hillbrow.

It lasted from 16 to 30 July.

(grafmom only uses homemade, wheatpaste glue to paste her posters - for what it is worth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment