Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Boys eat like worms


This one is a stripey, hairy one - a real polypod. You will find him right at the main entrance to the school on St John Rd.
I installed him Sunday afternoon just before Evensong - so no one would see me. My stealthy manner drove the guards crazy - they demanded to know what I was putting on the pole and prohibited me from taking photographs of the gate and area. It was hilarious. I must have taken hundreds of photos of the school - from the inside, even wearing a hoody.
Then I told them I am a LEC mom, ex-tuckshop lady and I mentioned Mr Cameron's name. They offered to hold the ladder for me.
Monday morning I sat in my car, as we taxi-moms often do, and observed the parents and kids arriving at the school. I am convinced NOBODY saw the worm, although they have to wait at the gate in the mornings to get in.

Our cars have become a bubble, like our homes - warm, safe and isolated from what we prefer not to see. We have to ignore so many things - an overload of information, directions, zonked out street children and road-salesmen with their amazing wares. We don't even notice the smash-and-grabber's approach.
At least the worm is wearing a helmet in case he falls.

1 comment:

  1. you are so wrong about no one seeing it!
    my brother goes to SJC and it seems that out daily drive to school is basically a tour of your work. thank you so much for making the drive so much more interesting.. we have had countless discussions about your work.
    do you have a facebook page?

    ReplyDelete