Friday, May 21, 2010

In the land of the blind.........


On the corner of and is currently the BAMBOO centre, with the popular Service Station restaurant. The building used to be just that - a petrol/service station. When that moved across the road, the workshops were used by the Blind Association to teach and produce cane work. From there the name Bamboo. Their work was quite popular - they made great baskets and even furniture - until current imports "stole" their market.

This of course explains the two Tomasons of poles with Blind People Crossing. On both Carlow and Rustenburg Roads. Very few people still notice these - so I did a little intervention.

Response from a guy working at the petrol station:

"What are you doing?"

"This is the art I do."

"Why?"

"I want people to remember about the blind people."

"Blind people must stay home. The family must look after them. They must not walk in the street. "


3 comments:

  1. Sharp spotting and insightful research into the recent history of the area. I´m sure you made a few people look and see (or not?) A miracle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever. I did not know that! Always thought it was put there as a joke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly surprised by how little people actually see around them - red/green; red/green and contain themselves in their cars. Lately I am driving so slowly - head turning left and right to spot Tomasons - freaking everyone out behind me.

    Tomason-spotting!

    ReplyDelete