Wednesday, May 26, 2010

on my soap box


..........and so I went ahead and did one. And I think I'm hooked. I did not have the same experience making the graffiti that the literature ascribe to graffiti artists. The one that you do it for yourself and making a subversive statement. Of course it was/is all there but I definitely experienced feelings of exhibitionism and felt as if was addressing the whole city - of course delusional.

There are strong similarities between writing on a blog and spray painting on a wall - of which the most obvious is that one aims to communicate with the widest audience as possible.

Interesting comments while I was working on the wall:

A guy peeping over the top: "I can smell you but I can't see you".

A beggar guy:" Why are you painting the wall?"

"I want to make it look nice again".

"O, you bought the place."

A blond, 30-something guy with a cool swagger: " I can't believe you are painting the wall white. People have done art here (he was wrong, there were only ads on the wall).
Your types (older, bottle blond, resident association members, secure ???)
are so uncreative and have no idea what art is, and what graffiti is about!!"
I managed to not go into lecture mode with him, and he then swaggered away.

Young guy in his blue church outfit: " I'm a painter man, I can do this job for you. R 120 a day only".

2 comments:

  1. A film documenting your 'other' life would be very interesting; including interviews about reactions on your graffiti etc. (This will also be very exhibitional!)

    A new Banky film was created called "Exit through the gift shop", see http://www.banksyfilm.com for a trailer of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. We are definitely on the same wave length.You seem to be into face paint - similar to the performance part of graffiti, not?

    ReplyDelete